[meteorite-list] Carsten's amazing new CK4 NWA 4679

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2007 22:25:59 UT

Whenever I tell myself or promise my wife "no further meteorite purchases
in the near future", another exotic, unique, "must have" critter from space
descends on me and shatters such solemn promises.

This CK4 is unique in at least two respects:

- it features dark subrounded "clasts" virtually devoid of chondrules
- some slices show what seems to be a conspicuous BO chondrule.

So far, so good, NWA 1560 and NWA 1563 have well developed BO
chondrules, too, ... but: their diameters range from 0.5 to 2 mm, whereas
this BO chondrule in NWA 4679 has a whopping diameter in excess of
10 mm! This is what J.C. Bridges calls a macrochondrule (> 5 mm in diameter)

Whadda a meteorite! The 8.0 gram slice is mine :-)

Cheers,

Bernd