[meteorite-list] Langs' Auction - I Hope This Is The Last Time

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:36:11 -0700

Dear Mike:

You're a good friend and a good neighbor. I've always respected your
sense of justice and I sure don't want to get into an argument with you
on the List.

I'm not making any implications. I'm being very direct and
straightforward. You have a right to voice your opinions and concerns
about the auction, and I have a right to say I have a problem with the
way you did it. It's uncool of you and others to be using words like
"fraud" and "rip-off" when describing what were -- in my opinion as an
observer -- honest mistakes and I'm calling you on it. I'm reporting
what I saw and heard, before, during and after the auction. If your
memory of events contradicts mine, we'll have to agree to differ. I've
made my public statement and I'm sticking by it. My friendly suggestion
is that you and I now let everyone else draw their own conclusions.

You say Al told you those pieces were "stolen." I remember him saying
they were "lost" and "could not be accounted for." I'm sure you'll
agree that it's very easy for such a thing to happen in a busy
showroom. I gather you yourself unfortunately had a meteorite stolen
during the show. Sorry to hear that. Anyway, Al found the missing
pieces a few days later and sent them on to Achim. WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?

You say Al and Iris "got caught," but would it really be worth selling
Achim's winnings on to somebody else for an extra $25 apiece? We're
taking about pieces in the hundreds and thousands of dollars here, and
no it wouldn't. Al wouldn't do something like that anyway. The
meteorite field is a small place and anyone can see word of such a
thing would get out. Since everyone who participated in the auction now
seems to be happy -- except you -- please tell me who was wronged. I
think you won a couple of pieces, and you got them for the hammer
price, right? Achim got his, right? Al spoke to everyone else and made
sure they were happy, so where's the problem?

I cannot comment on any "fight" between Achim and Allan, because I
wasn't there and neither were you. I did hear a very different version
of the story which I'm certainly not going to repeat. I do know Achim
is a highly respected professional, has always been extremely courteous
to me, and that he is your friend. I appreciate that you're looking out
for his interests. I'm glad his pieces were found and I gather from
Allan that Achim is satisfied with the way things turned out. Achim, if
that's true, perhaps you'd be kind enough to make a comment to that
effect.

In light of Iris' sudden and serious illness, it's even more
understandable that she made some mistakes and accidentally emailed
some of the wrong bidders, as she was already not feeling too well
during the Tucson show. I think a little compassion and understanding
for a seriously ill colleague wouldn't be out of order at this point.

I have no idea why you -- of all people Mike -- would bring up the
wretched M. Casper. Everyone I know who had dealings with Casper
(including you and me) ended up being very sorry they'd ever met the
man. Mentioning Allan and Casper in the same paragraph is evil, has
absolutely nothing to do with anything we're discussing, and is really
a cheap shot by you.

I will state that in my career as an art director, writer, and a
meteorite person I've never worked with kinder or more honest people
than the Langs. I can only judge someone's character from my own
personal experience, and in my experience Allan has always been an
exemplary friend and professional.

I really can't think of anything else to say.

Respectfully,

Geoff N.
Aerolite Meteorites
Tucson, AZ