[meteorite-list] NWA Window

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:47:54 -0500

Gary,

400 grit is relatively fine when used in conjunction with meteorites. In
most cases, I don't polish past 400 grit as detail is lost when over
polished. Starting with 150 grit then 300 and then 400 works great for many
meteorites. Use your paper on top of a large think piece of glass with lots
of alcohol.

Some stones polish in seconds. I just polished some deep cut marks out of a
large slice ~65mm x 65mm in about 15 minutes. Some stones are very hard and
the only way to get a nice window is to cut. There are probably some on the
list who will cut for you for a small fee or sample.

Dark shocked meteorites tend to be very tough to polish. Ringwoodite which
results from shock (dark black melt) is very hard and I think I can see some
in your window.

Hope this helps.

tett