[meteorite-list] Larry's Holbrook Holy Grail Find

From: DNAndrews <dna1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:53:21 -0700

Hola Johnny Q,
You may be right, but as large as that piece was, it might have taken a
couple of years or so for it to be washed or eroded out. But you are
right, it was found near the top of a mound....just slightly down from
the top. Even one fragment was found under a cow pie. ;-)

The miniscule 69 gms. I found that day (largest fragment 43 gms...one of
my better days), just didn't seem worth fussing over after Larry's
whopper "Holy Grail" find. ;-)

I hope we can post some pictures with some meaning and size scale to
it. I have some. The pictures Mark posted (thanks Mark) have no
indication as to size. Also, I think that "minus" the fragment
weights, should be worded "plus" the fragment weights. I know that
piece is at least a kilo in weight. Maybe the largest Holbrook in 30
yrs. or so? Maybe Steve Schoner could refresh our memory on his/or
others finds? I know he has found some large ones in the past.

As far as Bernd's question as to the distribution of large to small
stones, I see no pattern whatsoever. Seems to my personal experience,
the larger ones are in the middle of the north side. However, there are
records of 5 lbs. found on the south side in 1969. (Everet Gibson, I
believe). I/we've found a lot of stuff on the south side, but as to
when I was there, nothing of size larger than 20 gms....then came Maria
last year. She found 100g or so of an individual in the eastern past on
the south side. Nothing that says the larger ones are found in the
furthest part of the strewnfield.

I've been working on finding things further from the horizontal and
vertical plane of the field. I feel in the last few years that we have
expanded the 2 mile x 1/2 mile rule by quite a bit. I'm only sharing
this info because it really isn't easy to just walk in here and find
something substantial. Well....I take that back...Larry just did it.

Congrats to Larry....don't know how you did it, but you did it.

Dave
(Sending this as plain text in hopes it will be posted)