[meteorite-list] meteorwrong stories

From: Pamela Shireman <falling_star_woman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 19:27:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi List:

  I love meteorwrong stories.

  As the director of the planetarium in Little Rock, Arkansas - I've seen my share of "wrongs." I've had approximately 10 submissions - and one I was sure was a pretty little iron. I offered to send it for testing, but the young man didn't want to - he said he was going to keep it either way because he liked it, and if it wasn't he didn't want to know.

  I had an older couple that called and said they had a meteorite that weighed about 20 pounds. In about 30 minutes - they arrived with a nice sized flat rock, that had been spray painted silver (complete with paint drips down the sides). Trying to be tactful - I told them it didn't have any of the "usual" characteristics, however, if they wanted, I would be glad to consult a local meteorite expert (Robert Woolard), as well as a geologist at the University. They insisted that they didn't have time for all that "fal-de-rall" - but, they would let me have it for $500, but only if I gave them cash. I declined.

  But, my favorite story comes out of Louisiana. Two men contacted a local planetarium and said they found a meteorite. The director asked them a few questions, and from their description it really didn't sound like a meteorite. Still the men insisted they were positive. Finally, the planetarium director had to ask - "What makes you so sure it is a meteorite?"

  "Because when we stick our tongues to it - and it tingles." The planetarium director choked back the giggles and invited them to bring it in - he had to see what it was.

  They arrived some time later - with what appeared to be hardened poop. The director's best guess was deer or dog. The men looked a bit "green around the gills" when they left. The director kept the poop on his desk for years as his favorite example of a meteorwrong.

  Pamela Shireman, Director
  EpiSphere Digital Planetarium
  3301 East Roosevelt Road
  Little Rock, Arkansas 72206