[meteorite-list] Some Good Tucson Auction News

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 01:37:12 -0600

Hello Everyone,

I hope that last round of e-mails has not turned anyone off from attending
Tucson or the like. It is the greatest assembly of meteorite collectors and
dealers and should not be missed if possible. My report on the show will be
coming soon. I hope that other attendees take the time to write a few words
on their experience as well. Just as you likely enjoyed reading past
reports, others will enjoy reading yours.

Now for a little good Tucson Auction news.

During Michael Blood's People Auction, Michael was kind enough to stop the
auction to offer a number of last minute things for the Walter Branch fund.
  A pair of posters, I believe given by Michael, where signed by all
present. One for Walter and the other for the high bidder with all funds
going directly to the Walter Branch fund. The signed poster sold for $275
by a generous Fred Hall. A couple other items were also auctioned off,
including a Mars tainted wine bottle given by Greg Hupe, and third item if I
remember right. Sorry can't remember who gave it or what it was.

While I have no ideal how much was collected at the auction, I imagine over
$1000.00, which mind you is a fraction of the funds that Walter could use.
As you have read his condition is quite serious. I don't see him returning
to work anytime soon.

Anyway, I would like to publically thank Michael Blood, who received quite
some slack for the long running auction, for taking time out for this, Fred
Hall, Greg Hupe and the generous meteorite community.

And since I am on this subject, I have copied and pasted John's e-mail the
other day on the Walter Branch fund.

Hello List,
After reading the bad news about Walter and his daughter, I called Maria
Haas who was in Tucson attending the Gem & Mineral Show to tell her the
news. Being the good soul that she is, she came up with the idea to
collect donations to assist Walter and his family during this trying
situation.

Maria spent the better part of two days collecting donations from meteorite
folks attending the Show and was delighted to find that members of the
meteorite community were quite generous.

During a phone conversation with Maria on Monday ( she was hunting
meteorites in Holbrook with Dave Andrews and Larry "Mr. Lucky" Atkins), she
asked if I'd post this message to the Met. List since she is away from her
computer.

Anyone who would like to donate money to assist Walter Branch and his
family can do so through Maria. She has a Premiere Paypal account, so she
can accept payments made with Visa, Master Card, E-Checks, etc. If you
prefer to mail donations to Maria that is possible too. Here is her Paypal
account e-mail and also her mailing address.

Paypal payments : dragonsoup at msn.com

mailing address:
Maria Haas
410 Spring Street
Saline MI 48176

She won't be home from her trip to Arizona/Nevada until late on Saturday,
February 10, 2007. So if you try to contact her, don't expect a reply
until then.

>From the description of the injuries, I'm guessing Walter's recovery will
be a long process. I've never met him in person, but have been in contact
with him for pretty close to 10 years. I'm sure that those of you who know
him or have done business with him will agree with me that he is a
wonderful guy full of integrity, honesty and charm. Please be generous.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me as well.

Best Regards,

John Gwilliam - Tempe, Arizona

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick