[meteorite-list] Tucson 2007 trip report

From: Don Hurkot <don_hurkot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:53:08 -0700

Dear List

This has been our 12th trip to the Tucson show since 1992 looking for
meteorite specimens for our collection and enjoying a break from the
cold weather in Southern Alberta. We were able to get around to most of
the dealer rooms and saw some incredible specimens. The oriented North
Chile hexahedrite was the standout iron in this show. The images posted
will no doubt be downloaded and drooled over for some time (for iron
collectors). Canadian material was scarce but a special thanks to Blaine
Reed for securing a specimen I have been trying to get for years. I'm
still looking for a Bruderheim and St Robert individual and a slice of
Vulcan and Peace River. If some one can help, please contact me off
list. I have an image of the farmer who found Vulcan which I would be
happy to pass on. This specimen was found approximately thirty miles
from where we live.

 The two auctions were highlights as well because it gives collectors a
fun experience in securing a favourite specimen as you bid against
someone and the prices can be reasonable or high depending on collector
interest. The end of the regular Blood Auction is a highlight as some
material not advertised is auctioned. You never know what will turn up.

As a side note, when you have to do something different for your better
half, There is a nice town called Tubac about 1 hour south on I19,for
art, pottery and wall sculptures. Just south of Casa Grande on I10 is
some outlet shopping. Other attractions around Tucson have been noted by
others on the list.

Again, thanks to Robert and Heidi Haag, Al and Iris Lang, Blaine Reed,
Mike Farmer, Comet Shop, Saint-Petersburg Pale. Lab, Hupe Collection,
Marcin Cimala, Geoff Notkin and Doug for excellent specimens. When I
look at the pieces in our collection, we will also remember the people
who sold these pieces or had these specimens in their collections. Hope
to see all of you again in 2008 and hopefully some new friends as well.

Regards

Don and Linda Hurkot

This electronic message and any attached documents are intended only for the named addressee(s). This communication from TransCanada may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and it must not be disclosed, copied, forwarded or distributed without authorization. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Thank you.