[meteorite-list] the hambledon pallasite

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:44:41 +0100

As far as I'm concerned, that is not a pyrite crystal, it has the wrong
form for pyrite.
But it is the right form for a spinel group mineral (magnetite, spinel,
chromite, ...).
Magnetite is also a common mineral. Here in Sweden I wouldn't be
surprised by finding a small crystal like that in weathered rocks,
magnetite is very common in granites and other igneous rocks and very
resistant against weathering.
As I have no knowledge of the geological conditions where this pallasite
was found I can't say anything about how probably it is a terrestrial
crystal or not.

A simple test is to use a weak magnet to see if it is magnetite. But I
wouldn't do it on somebody else's meteorite.

Nice pictures and a very interesting pallasite.

  :-)

/G?ran