[meteorite-list] fireball over midwest NUMBER THREE

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:11:49 -0600

Hi,

    This is an earlier piece from Fox News nationally,
but I include it here because it mentions two other
sighting locations: Alton and Bunker Hill, Illinois.
A vector drawn through these two towns precisely
parallels a vector drawn through Beardstown and
Lewistown, but the two vectors are at a distance
of 75-80 miles apart. They do not point toward
Gape Girardeau, Missouri.
    If the object passed between the Beardstown-
Lewistown line and the Alton-BunkerHill line, its
heading would be about 180 degrees and take it
not too far west of Cape Girardeau.
    The heading of 180 suggests a possibility: one
of the 500-odd large fragments of a certain Chinese
polar satellite which would indeed have a shallow
trajectory and a low entry velocity. Assuming we're
tracking those chunks, we may know before long,
or not.

Sterling K. Webb (story follows)

Possible Meteors Light Up Midwestern Skies
Monday, February 05, 2007

ST. LOUIS - Dozens of people in eastern and
central Missouri and parts of Illinois reported seeing
flaming objects falling from the sky Sunday evening.
    People reported small objects that looked like
bright lights or something burning, with flaming tails
behind some of them, said Ken Tretter, with the
Missouri State Highway Patrol in St. Louis.
    He said the reports came in from a widespread
area, including St. Louis, Cape Girardeau and Pettis
County in Missouri and near Alton and Bunker Hill
in Illinois.
    A preliminary report Sunday indicated that the
lights were from a meteor, said Maj. April Cunningham,
a spokeswoman for North American Aerospace
Defense Command, or NORAD, which watches
for airborne threats to the United States and Canada.
    "We had a pilot reporting seeing a meteor and
that's really all the information we have tonight,"
Cunningham said.