[meteorite-list] Space station moves to avoid debris

From: Gerald Flaherty <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 15:44:22 -0500

Better Yet!
"In the present invention, layered cloth elements are disposed and located intermediate of the outer bumper wall and the rearward wall. The layered cloth elements include a ceramic cloth disposed in a facing relationship to the bumper wall. "Ceramic cloth" is herein defined as a pliable material made by weaving, felting, embedding or knitting ceramic fibers, threads and/or filaments in to a fabric. "Ceramic" is defined herein as a material composed of metal oxides such as aluminum oxide, silicon dioxide, boron oxide and other metal oxides. The ceramic cloth provides an impact shock layer which has significant strength and flexibility at high temperatures for extended time periods. The purpose of the ceramic cloth is to shock and break up an incoming particle and disperse it in a spray form.

In juxtaposition with the ceramic cloth is a high strength cloth disposed in facing relationship to the rearward wall. A "high strength cloth" is defined herein as a pliable material made by weaving, felting, embedding or knitting high strength/low weight fibers, threads and/or filament. "High strength/low weight" is defined herein as a fiber, thread and/or filament having a specific strength greater than 9?106 inches (where specific strength=fiber ultimate tensile strength/fiber density) for units of pounds force per square inch divided by pounds (mass) per cubic inch. The high strength cloth provides a capability to disperse for ultimate tensile strength and retard the fragment spray cloud or fragments resulting from penetration of the ceramic cloth before impact with the rearward wall. "

Jerry Flaherty