[meteorite-list] Hunting with a magnet; suspect stones; meteorwrongs; and ramblings.

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 22:27:03 -0800 (PST)

Rockbiter & list,

I enjoyed your write-up. I've always viewed the
magnet as a tool to test things seen by the eye
rather than a collecting tool, but you've made your
point well.

Recently en route to Tucson, I spent a day in the
Arizona desert. There are rainwater collection and
dispensing systems out there for wildlife
("guzzlers"), and these include large concrete aprons
to collect the rain. In one of these I noted a few
gallons of particulates collected in a sediment trap
at the bottom, so I ran a magnet through this
material. In this magnetic fraction were dozens of
tiny metallic to glassy spheres. It seemed to good to
be true. While it WAS what I was hoping to see, it
was just too easy. There had been some welding in the
area building tanks and fences, so I'm concerned that
some or all of these sphereoids might be particulates
from the welding. Have you found such things away from
civilization?

Secondly, you said:

" How about a rock that looks like chrome when you
grind off a small spot and polish it a little but it
is totally not magnetic. You can't make it leave a
streak, it never rusts and is very hard. I have not
found but one piece of whatever it is and am glad to
have that one to study even though it is not a
meteorite. Believe me, I have researched this one and
although I have my suspicions about it being
Hematite, I still am not positive about it."

For sure it is not hematite. Hematite has the most
distinctive streak in the mineral kingdom (rusty
vermillion red even when the hematite is bright and
metallic as a silver mirror). I am confused how you
collected it with a magnet if it is absolutely not
attracted to a magnet. Whatever the case, there are
lots of hard, silver minerals not attracted to a
magnet, A good bet would be ilmenite.

Cheers,
Norm http://TektiteSource.com