[meteorite-list] Neutron and Proton production in hyper-velocity impacts

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:08:48 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

Over the last several days, I've cited several C14
spikes associated with hyper-velocity impacts.

It turns out that photons can release neutrons and
protons from a nucleus:

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/Nuclear_Notes/nuclear_notes.html

To give you idea of the energies involved, we've all
watched the photons given off by meteors traveling at
cosmic speeds. If I remember right, those photons come
from excited electrons - as does the electrophorenic
sound discussed so many times here on the list over
the years.

good hunting,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas