[meteorite-list] Asteroid may be set to slam Mars in Jan.

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 02:46:18 -0800 (PST)

--- David Pensenstadler <dfpens01 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My guess is that the asteroid will take out the Mars
> Odyssey (THEMIS) satellite before hitting
> Opportunity
> on the surface.

  Or, as a friend of mine said, "Please, please don't
hit the Face!"

  If it DOES hit Mars, I wonder what observations
visual amateur astronomers can make of it? I think if
it kicks up a dust storm that should be easy to see.
The impact flash seems problematic. 3 MT might be
visible on the Moon from Earth, but Mars? As soon as
the astrometry comes in, these things will all have to
be determined fast--if there indeed is an impact.

Francis Graham