[meteorite-list] Mammoth Stew, then you take the pieces back to your fire

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:31:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jason -

You wrote:

>Well, probably, though we have no real proof of their
>having been blasted to death *anywhere.*

Denial takes many forms.

> I'm not an idiot.

No one said you were. It simply that your efforts to
rationalize away the deaths from these impacts is
reducing your replies to incoherence.

> A cometary airburst of a body, say, 1km in diameter,
> simply doesn't make any sense. Physically
> speaking (I'm currently taking college-level
> physics), it just doesn't make sense. Maybe you
know > of some laws regarding atmospheric resistance
that I > don't, but unless some such laws exist, I'm
> disinclined to believe just about everything you
say.

I never said that a 1 kilometer comet airburst.

I used to get upset when people put words into my
mouth, as I always used to attribute it to my
inability to communicate clearly. Now I realize that
it has a different cause.

>We don't know much about cometary composition, but
> there's no reason (at all) to suspect that they
> formed around iron cores,

I never said that.

> They were mostly in the past. Impact rates have
been > declining. I'm not saying that there's no
chance
> that we could be wiped out tomorrow.
> What I'm saying is that the odds are better for us
> living out the next day than they were, say, two
> billion years ago. That's a fact.

No it isn't. You forgot to consider comet impact when
estimating the odds. Once again, estimates of the
impact hazard are exactly that, estimates, and are
known to be weak.

>Because you're misunderstanding just about everything
>I say?

No, see my comment on my communication skills, above.
It's for a different reason.

good hunting all,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas