[meteorite-list] Mammoth Stew

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:06:11 -0600

Hi, Jason, List,

1. The point of comparison to Tunguska is that
an airburst is radically different from a ground burst
and leaves, proportionately to its intensity, remarkably
few discernable markers.

2. The statement that the Earth and Moon haven't
"always" shared the same orbit is quibble for quibble's
sake. The collision between the two occurred in the
first 100 million years or possibly much less of the
solar system. The Australian zircons say more than
4.46 billion years. The mutual collision disassembled
the Moon and melted the Earth into the mantle, so
the surface record starts or is re-set at that point. (I
think that the proto-Moon formed at one of the Earth's
Trojan points. A Trojan is only stable if the mass of
the Trojan is insignificant compared to the primary
orbital mass; once it grows to a measurable fraction,
it is perturbed "along" the orbit until it is "captured"
by the primary. That's how the Earth and Moon got
hitched, sez the witch doctor, poking the fire...)

3. I am only counting impactors that result in a 1000
meter crater or larger. Atmosphere not a factor in that
size range. The fact that the Earth has "new" craters of
only 10 meters diameter demonstrates our atmosphere
only "protects" from mere nuisances and nothing more.
Moreover, you imply that it is "easier" to make craters
in the Moon (your incorrect fist-sized impactor, six meter
crater), and that is not true. The ratio of impactor energy
to crater size is the same for both bodies, both of which
have the same crustal density. The Moon is surfaced
entirely with "tougher" rocks (basalts largely) and not
overlayed with "soft target" to the extent of the Earth
(all that water? half a kilometer of clay?). Further, the
Earth's gravity accelerates an approaching close object
by an additional 11,200 m/sec in velocity over its distant
relative velocity, while the Moon only adds a measly
2380 m/sec. It's HARDER to crater the Moon than
the Earth, on a crater by crater basis.

4. You used the puzzling phrase "such a small impact"
8% of a Chicxulub and still wouldn't have punched
through the Pleistocene ice cap! What does it take for
you to call an impact large? As for traces, we have lots
according to the Firestone gang: nanodiamonds, carbon
layer, bucky balls, metallic residues, blah, blah, all many
thousands of miles away from the impact point. Actually,
I have to thank you for (unintentionally) starting me down
the path toward modeling "impacts in ice caps." Such
thick emplacements cover 10% to 20% of the Earth's
surface during glaciations, yet leave few traces of even
a major impact: no rock melt, no impactites, no crater,
no tidal waves. We've ignored this possibility completely
up till now. Note that the traces the Firestone gang have
found seem to be able to be formed entirely from the
impactor? That is what would happen in an "ice cap hit"!
There would be those bothersome shock waves, the
injection of a huge amount of water vapor into the Earth's
atmosphere, after the wildfires from the thermal flash, of
course. I don't think this obvious possibility has ever
been "thought through."

5. You say, "most of the craters were formed before
the [recent?] timeframe." Well, that's exactly what the
argument's about, isn't it? This is the comfortable, "that's
all in the past" argument. Let's review the cratering history
of the solar system. After initial accretion, a tapering off.
Then, at 3.8 to 3.9 billion years ago, an intense episode,
the "Late Bombardment," followed by an exponential
decline for more than 3 billion years. Then, at 0.6 billion
years ago, cratering rates begin to rise dramatically, until
0.4 billion years ago, when they have increased fourfold
in 0.2 billion years. They again decline. until 125-100 million
years ago, when they increase, roughly doubling. If nothing
else, this demonstrates that the system impactor flux varies
dramatically through solar system history, for whatever
reason. The role of comets, stellar encounters, Oort Cloud
shenanigans, asteroidal family dustups is all unclear and
yet to be pinned down. Good old ignorance. But the view
that solar systems start in an impact squabble and then
settle down happy forever is dead wrong. Perhaps, after 4 or
5 billion years, long-tern inherent dynamic instabilities catch
up with a solar system and such systems begin to pummel
themselves to death. We don't know. Find me a 10 or 20
billion year old stable solar system... Maybe such contrivances
as solar systems just don't last? We are always (see the press
releases) finding very young solar systems; have you ever
noticed our finding a very old one? Me, neither.

6. You call the 3,000,000 crater figure a "prejudiced number."
You are simply wrong about that. That's the number of craters
made on Earth; I didn't say they survived. Oh, it could be off
by 300,000 craters either way, but it's "order of magnitude"
correct. What the current rate is -- that IS the dispute, to be
determined, not dismissed. Cratering, where we are able to
closely date it, appears to demonstrate "clustering." If impacts
come in intense episodes of 50,000 to 100,000 years with
deep calm between... Well, that means a "local" rate can be
radically different from a long-term time-averaged rate. What's
the impact weather like this era? That's the question. It depends,
in scientific terms, on whether cratering is entirely "stochastic"
or not. If there are "mechanisms" of cratering, it's not. Since
we know of several obvious mechanisms (the breakup of
major asteroids, comet infall from outside perturbations), it
does not seem likely that the process is stochastic or perfectly
random. If it is not, the comfortable notion that "such things
don't happen anymore" is unsupportable.

7. The insistence on perfect matching of extinction and impact
timing is a red herring. In massive impacts (K-T, the Permian
Wollop), yes, it should be close. But extinction can be "smeared"
out over thousands of years by environmental change. The fact
IS that 10,000 years ago, there were flourishing some 300-odd
major (big) mammal species that I've never seen and never will.
They had all been through de-glaciations before, so it wasn't
that. Either "something" happened or Man the Mass Murderer is
responsible. (A ridiculous theory; when game is scarce, you move
on and game recovers. Neolithic man never hunted game down to
extinction. It takes so long, you'd starve first. They weren't stupid,
you know. They were opportunists, and they lived off the fat of
the land, not the lean.)

Sterling K. Webb