[meteorite-list] Mammoth Stew

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:24:35 -0800

Hola All,
But the main problem is that impact rates have not been constant since
the formation of a solid lunar crust a number of billions of years
ago, and as such, this declining rate biases the results put forth.
Simply put, we're talking about craters having formed in the past ~50k
years, as that's the time period that we're discussing, because before
this, impact rates were different (greater).
Older craters on earth erode, to the point of being unrecognizable,
another reason for us to use the ~50k age range, as simple wind and
rain will take care of even the largest craters given only a few
hundred million years (never mind the ~2 billion year old pristine
lunar surface), to the point of making them inconspicuous, at best.
Using such absolute numbers as the total number of lunar impact
craters is simply biased towards a period of time two billion years
ago, and unless one knows the approximate age of all lunar craters,
there's just no point of using it as a comparison for the number of
impacts that was occurring ~50k years ago, as we simply don't know
what the rate was.
...Am I making sense?
Regards,
Jason