[meteorite-list] Mammoths Found Peppered with Meteorite Fragments

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:27:33 -0400

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:23:33 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>Eight tusks dating to some 35,000 years ago all show signs of having
>being peppered with meteorite fragments.

<snip>

>The mammoth and bison remains all display small (about 2-3mm in size)
>perforations.
>
>Raised, burnt surface rings trace the point of entry of high-velocity
>projectiles; and the punctures are on only one side, consistent with a

Okay, does this make much sense to someone better with the math than I am? (I'm
staring in your direction, Sterling). How far would particles of meteorititic
or cometary dust (presumedly from an airburst) be able to travel in near-surface
atmospheric thickness while still retaining enough velocity to penetrate bone
and leave "raised, burnt surface rings"? I'm betting not very far at all. Tens
of meters? Hundreds? I'm betting that if you are close enough to have dust
(2-3mm) penetrate bone, you are close enough that you are going to be turned
into a bag of splintered pulp by the shockwave. Just doesn't seem to hold water
to me.