[meteorite-list] cut big campo

From: David & Kitt Deyarmin <bobadebt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:37:47 -0500

First you have to ask yourself why you're cutting it and how you want it
cut.

Are you cutting it for resell?

If so do you want full slices ?

Do you want huge end cuts or all slices with minimal end cuts.

Do you want to slab it, then process the slabs into slices and end cuts?

This is just a few of the questions a cutter would have ask before taking
the job.

Contact me off list at bobadebt at ec.rr.com with your phone number and I
could call you to discuss this in more depth.

BUT if your just talking about the available ways to cut it I can think of
3.

The most conventional way is to use a band saw but for one this size you
would need a large band saw and it would be a long process and at machine
shop rates it would cost a fortune, so it could be cost prohibitive. The
only way this method would be affordable was if there was someone like me
willing to do the work for a reduced fee and/or some material

If it's not to tall I could cut it on my liquid cooled abrasive saw but it
would be very work intensive which would end up costing a lot so this method
could be cost prohibitive unless I'm interested in the material.

I'm not sure if it could be cut with a wire saw but if it could it would be
cost prohibitive.

If its really big you could use a combination of the first 2 methods. Use a
machine shop to cut it into 3 pieces (with a band saw) that are easier to
handle and then I could process each piece but I would have to be interested
in the material to do the work.