[meteorite-list] Does Erg Chech = Mali ????

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 18:52:57 -0800 (PST)

Don, how does Cali morph into Mali? I see the
similarities, but please, let's clear this up.

Cali fell July 6th, 2007, at 4:33 pm in Colombia.Read
all about it at the link below.
http://meteoriteguy.com/califall/CALIcolombiafall.htm

"Mali" which is the name of a massive country, would
never be accepted as a meteorite name, since it does
not tell at all where it is from, other than the
country. "Erg Chech" certainly narrows the fall
location for that Mali meteorite down.

Cali is Colombia's first recognized witnessed
meteorite fall. Virtually all of it is sold, I do have
a few crumbs and partslices from a couple of the
pieces. Perhaps one or two will end up on ebay soon.

Well, 2007 has been a great year for meteorite falls,
I have personally recovered pieces of 3 of this year's
6 known recovered falls. I am sure there are others
that we don't know about yet, Africa often lags the
news. We still have time for another, but not much
since I am going to Japan next week and won't have
time to chase it down. Now, Ikebukuro, that would be a
great meteorite name, come on down, while I am there
please!

Michael Farmer