[meteorite-list] "Fossil" as a 17th century term for excavatedmeteorite?

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 12:15:43 -0700

Chris Peterson wrote:
"I can't answer when, but I do think that using "fossil" as an
adjective applied to ancient meteorites is perfectly acceptable. In
geology (and other sciences) it usually means anything preserved from
an earlier geologic age, not necessarily something living. "Fossil
meteorite" is as valid as "fossil water". It is when using "fossil"
as a noun that you would be on thinner ice, since that seems reserved
for a remnant of an organism."

Nicely stated Chris. I agree.

Mike Murray