[meteorite-list] The EL3/Aubrite/whatever - Why FOSSIL?

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 07:56:13 -0600

Hi Dean,

Yes this is very confusing and unscientific. As you deal in fossils, I
think you have a gut appreciation of what a fossil is (rare occurence, once
living, formed in a long process, from sediment deposition) and what it is
not (an inorganic rock). For example, Adam Hupe has been confusing the term
relic with relict in his posts (spell check I am sure), which is basically
the same very dubious leap of definition. The "fossiliferous" nature can be
better explained by:

Paleo?logists argue that the rare petrified relict ooliths formed during
sediment deposition in an old soggy-bottomed Sahara creek from promiscuous
remains of pyroxene-based creatures (with a DNA paucity).

"Fossil" is used in quotes to distinguish lithified alien life forms vs.
common DNA-coded carbon life forms. "Aubrite" is a golden glowing substance
developed by The "Authentic Fossil" (trademarked logo) company to be used on
watch dials in the "Relic" product line in place of radium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil,_Inc.

Alternately, Fossil (TM) may be written for marketing purposes, much like
Amgala, Inc.

Interestingly, the MetSoc NomCom approved a whole series of Numbers starting
with AL HAGGOUNIA 001. Wonder if there was more to this than meets the eye?
Why a 001 before any mention of a 002? Is this somewhat of a departure for
the NomCom, and the series have been used to designate numbers either
unassignable locations in dense regions (e.g., NWA), or, regions with too
few place names to go around (e.g. Oman), or the new category of Relict
meteorites (e.g., ?sterplana) -like those recovered in some sediments known
to yield meteorites. Could the latter have influenced putting the premature
numbering system in place for Al Haggounia?

LOFL,
Doug