[meteorite-list] Ancient bacteria could point to life on Mars

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:52:38 -0700 (PDT)

Though I cling to my belief that Mars is a dead rock,
the more time goes by the more I realise I know
nothing.
Still, it'd be nice to br right on something.
This debate reminds me of Kim Stanley Robinson's books
where a discovered microbe was declared "probably
terran".
I seem to remember one of the Apollo crews bringing
back bits of one of the Ranger landers they parked
next to. It had been there for several years in hard
vacuum and sterilised by solar radiation. They found
some gunk a guy had sneezed on it during assembly and
the bugs in it had survived the whole time and came
back to life as sooon as reinserted in a new nostril
(or something)

My biggest problem with extremophile bacteria living
on mars is that many extremophiles on earth I know of
can usually only exist where they do because of the
environment which is created by the vast number of
non-extremophiles. I would consider myself an
extremophile because after years of watching Ray Mears
on TV, I still think I'd die if left in "nature" for
any great length of time. however, my nice little
human created environment only exists if there are
lots of nice trees making oxygen for me to breath.

One again, I am almost certainly way off track but
it's always nice to learn why and and learn something
new.

=== message truncated ===