[meteorite-list] 2007 Perseids

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 12 Aug 2007 22:01:18 UT

Hello All,

After I had seen my first Perseid, I got mail from Alex (Alex I will get back to you
tomorrow!) and he was not quite sure if I had really seen a Perseid. Well, it might
have been a "spoardic meteor" but I have just checked back on one of my star
charts. That "bright, thick, orange streak" went right through the "keystone" of the
constellation Hercules, and, tracing back this flight path on my star chart leads me
right to the constellation Perseus!

In other words, I should have written NE > SW instead of N > S! Mea culpa!
Anyway, what was much more perplexing , was (a) the color of the meteor, (b)
its thick streak, and (c) its relatively low speed!

Let's wait for the reports of the more experienced observers (Bob Verish, and
others) as their observations may throw more competent light on what this year's
Perseids are like!

Perseidically yours,

Bernd

P.S: Weather conditions are deteriorating, hazy skies,
seeing mediocre, a lot of humidity in the air now :-(