[meteorite-list] The Temple City Crater

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 15:59:45 -0400

Martin Altmann wrote:
> Nice:
>
> http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/ufos/index.html
>

> Martin

"If a child had dug it, we'd know it by now," Jackson said. "There would
have been knee marks around the crater."

That's a lame conclusion if you ask me. It was a 2-ft "crater" before
the investigators spent several days to dig it to 15 feet deep and 10
feet in diameter. A 2-foot hole wouldn't require a 10-year-old to get on
his knees to excavate it. Heck, my dog used to dig deeper holes,
covering his own tracks as he threw out the dirt back between his legs.
I've also seen turtles, armadillos, and other burrowing animals excavate
2-ft holes.

This conclusion is also lame:

"Whatever it was, it came from the sky." [the crater] "was probably made
by a small meteor which disintegrated after it burrowed into the sandy
soil."

The purported meteorite or parts of it would have been found at the
bottom of the 2-ft "crater", not 13 feet deeper. I imagine the
investigators destroyed or simply missed the object if it was indeed
"from the sky". I'll go with a child or an animal.

whew, talk about paranoia (duck and cover!)

David