[meteorite-list] Nut finds fake meteorite with fake technology!

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:50:32 -0500

Ken, and All,

> I think dowsing has produced some desirable results...

    Dowsing is an old traditional practice, but utterly
worthless, and has been around for thousands of years
in some form or other, plenty of time to determine if
there is any "correct" way to perform it or if it is anything
other than just another "paranormal" flapdoodle. No
controlled study has demonstrated anything but chance
results. In other words, it is an unproven belief.

    This website (and the discussion page that goes with
it) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing demonstrate that
belief is strongest when proof is absent.

    The oldest common form of dowsing is "water witching."
The method is to take a thin, freshly plucked forked branch,
preferably from a willow tree, peel the bark, and grasp it
by the two branching ends, one in each hand. If you have
ever peeled a willow, you know that its sap is very slippery,
and a freshly peeled willow wand is hard to hold on to. In
"theory," this makes the long wand more "responsive" but
less likely to be controlled by the dowser, hence more likely
to be responding to the mysterious "force" that diverts the
stick downwards.

    How such a practice might have come to seem to be valid
is very easy to explain. If you have to pluck a "fresh" willow
wand, it must come from the vicinity where the search for
water is to take place. Willow trees are among the most
"water-craving" of all trees. They are most frequently found
near creeks and streams, but any spot where a willow has
grown to maturity has LOTS of ground water available,
and hence it is a prime candidate site for locating a well. If
you find the willow tree on the property, don't bother to
dowse; just start digging or drilling.

    Dowsing always keeps up with the technology of the day.
First, it's the substitution of metal rods in the early industrial
age, then the addition of electrical jimcrackery in the last
century of so. Dowsing is the ancestor of the many failed
"psychometric" machines, like the famous Hieronymus
Machine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hieronymus_machine
Yokum's device is identical to the Hieronymus machine,
which you can buy for only $600 here:
http://www.lifetechnology.org/hieronymus.htm
or build your own from these excellent and detailed plans:
http://www.wdjensen123.com/hieronymus/Plans.htm
And, it has been claimed that the Heironymus Machine
will work perfectly well from a carefully hand-made
ink-drawing of the plans, as a symbolic device alone:
http://www.cheniere.org/books/excalibur/another%20kind.htm

    Like any long-held, unproven belief, it is fertile ground
for the charlatan, and has provided a good and stable income
for the raising up of many a household full of little charlatans.
Since the last century, dowsing has often gone by the name of
"psychometry." In this form, it includes dowsing and divination
by pendulums and by physical contact with significant objects.
There are so many varieties of dowsing-descended pseudoscience
that there's not room for all of them here.

    They all have one thing in common: a 100% Bunk content.

Sterling K. Webb