[meteorite-list] Nut finds fake meteorite with fake technology!

From: Ken Newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 13:21:50 -0400

Sterling and All,
Calling him a 'dowser' is being 'kind', as I think
dowsing has produced some desirable results,
but I think you are technically correct.

Mr. Yokum listed a batch of suspect meteorites
(on eBay 5-6 years ago) located with said machine .
I contacted him at that time.

Mr. Yokum has a vision and he does not let
little things like facts deter it. He sent a sample to
UCLA and was told it was not a meteorite.
He sent a sample to me and I told him the same.

Chunks purchased by others have appeared on eBay
since then. The most controversial listing was by a List member
that admittedly purchased 500 lbs. The sad part is
I phoned this seller and told him that I had a sample
of the same exact material he was selling and
I told him that it was not a meteorite. He assured me that
his items were different and contained much nickel-iron.
http://home.earthlink.net/~wrongs/auctions/2255992757.htm

This is the follow-up auction that revealed the truth about
the metal content and the character of the seller:
http://home.earthlink.net/~wrongs/auctions/2260392588.htm

A year later, the same seller still claiming "an internal
appearance similar to that of Dronino - a high-nickel-content iron
meteorite" unloaded much more of the same on eBay:
http://home.earthlink.net/~wrongs/auctions/6562295908.pdf

Best,
Ken Newton
http://home.earthlink.net/~magellon/updates.html