[meteorite-list] Tektite looking objects found in Park Forest

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:59:53 -0700 (PDT)

I addressed the List in the past on these objects but
will repeat what I know from memory.

We have the shingle to the house the meteorite
penetrated and no, these objects did not come from the
roof shingle. Scientists who examined the shingle
agree. Interestingly though, there are tear shaped
objects in the roof tiles but they are 50 times larger
than the objects we found. No dumbbell, patty, button
or bar type shapes were found in the roof shingle,
even at a microscopic level. These objects are
amazing in that they survived at all since the
lightest pressure will snap them. When viewed under a
Scanning Electron Microscope, microscopic features
such as whiskers were still intact. Also, no tar or
any other contaminants were found coating the
surfaces, they were all sterile.

The problem with these objects being part of the fall
is that Zinc was found. On the other hand, Troilite
was found in one of them. Another interesting thing is
that these objects do not plot on the TFL line as far
as oxygen isotope tests performed at Carnegie prove.
If I recall properly, they plot with CAIs not "L"
chondrites like what would be expected if they were
somehow related to the Park Forest fall.

The objects have earned an in-house name by scientists
who refer to them as "Damn Crazy Glass" and I believe
they are still being studied at Carnegie with a paper
in the works.

Hope this helps, got to go so will not be able to
respond to any questions for a day or two. I would
repost the awesome images but they went away when my
old system crashed.

Take Care,

Adam

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/msg11194.html