[meteorite-list] Tektite Surface Question- Please Zap if I'm out of place

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:30:54 -0700 (PDT)

Mike & list,

If I take your "machined and polished like flat"
wording literally, I don't think I've ever seen
anything (natural) where I would use such words. Maybe
yours are machined and polished. Feel free to send me
some photos of what you are talking about.

The elongate hollows are likely the interiors of
bubbles. Perhaps your "flats" are the same, but it
would be very uncommon for them to approach truly
flat, as in "planar".

If we ignore the idea of planar and just focus on
ornamentation contrasts, one commonly sees "bald"
spots on splatforms, which seem quite clearly to be
thin patches of brittle skin that have popped off of
variably plastic interiors on impact.

Also, particularly with the "onion" type of splatted
tear, there is usually a marked contrast between an
unpitted, stretched upper surface and a deeply pitted
base. The latter resembles the texture of molten
metal poured onto a very wet surface, where the
resulting steam pockets pit the base. I've often
wondered if this is a clue that tektites fell during a
very widespread rainy (monsoon) season when most of
southeast Asia was wet. This might also help to
explain why we never see anything embedded in the
impact surface of a plastic tektite.

Cheers,
Norm
http://TektiteSource.com