[meteorite-list] Witnesses, NORAD Think Meteorite Was Green Object Seen Over Colorado

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:18:50 -0600

NORAD was way off the mark on this one. Fortunately, the release was
based on a report from one eyewitness, not any sort of instrumentation
(or I'd be worried about our national security <g>).

Actually, the fireball was over western Colorado, and unrelated to the
Lyrids. Details are here:

http://www.cloudbait.com/science/fireball20070420.html .

Big, slow, shallow, and low- an excellent candidate for producing
meteorites, maybe 10 kg or more. Unfortunately, this is where you have
to hunt:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&z=10&ll=39.682883,-108.462524&spn=0.872973,0.86792&t=h

Good luck!

Chris