[meteorite-list] Meteorite smugglers anger scientists - stamp collection

From: Armando Afonso <armandoafonso_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:50:45 +0100

By the way,
What is the interest of the meteorites to the average "collector"?
They are simply "nice" or "interesting", isn`t it?
Like a collection of stamps?
Most of the real interest of this materials relates to statistics of
chemical and isotopical composition and other arid informations, of no
interest to a linguistic student or a plumber, I believe. And nothing of
that information can be extracted from "cleaned" and oiled specimens.
I have myself a few common meteorites as a complement of a systematic
mineral collection, to represent the native elements namely, but I don`t see
the interest of keeping a specimen with features that I can not appreciate
or put in evidence for some objective purpose.
For that reason, a very rare meteorite would be a waste in my collection.
A serious protocol is needed to collect and store this materials, if the
specimen value is to be preserved.
Regards.
AA