[meteorite-list] Meteorite smugglers anger scientists

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:40:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> But they have alreay done that, I have been to the
> Natural History Museum in London at least 8 or 9
> times, and complete many trades with them, much of
> it
> NWA material.
> I think this article may be somewhat misquoted or
> taken out of context.
> Michael Farmer

I quite agree Mike. This is a typical example of the
press wanting to make a story out of a non-issue.
I am quite sure the questions would have been leading
(let me quote today's Daily Express phone in poll : Do
you think illegal immigrants should be given all our
jobs?)
Really, the title of the article reads far worse than
the body of the article. The British media is rife
with this sort of sensationalism. One might expect
better of the BBC but this has not been true in recent
years.

Mark Ford pointed out to me that this issue does keep
cropping up from time to time. This is true. But we
all know the truth of the matter.
The scientists get their share when they classify.
Many dealers give more for classification than they
need to.

I am positive that there is not one dealer or
collector who would want to see science denied an
important sample but if they want it all then they are
guilty of greed far worse than any of us.
One might even call it snobbish superiority and that I
really do abhor.
If my arguments are in error, I'm happy to be
corrected.

Rob McC