[meteorite-list] In search of a hammer

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:57:06 -0500

Thanks for that gem, Ed!, List,

This Googled up from the event:

"On the morning of August 9, 48 bc, Rome's most famous general--Gnaeus
Pompeius Magnus, or Pompey the Great--apprehensively prepared his troops to
face the army of Rome's most successful general, Gaius Julius Caesar.
Pompey's unease was fueled by a meteor that had shot across the sky near his
camp the night before. To some of his soldiers it was an ill omen. After
quelling the disturbance caused by the meteor, Pompey retired to his tent.
There he dreamed of being applauded by Rome's citizens as he dedicated a
temple to the goddess Venus, Bringer of Victory. The dream must have made
the great commander nervous. Venus was the goddess from whom Caesar's
aristocratic clan, the Julians, claimed to be descended. Though unknown to
Pompey at the time, Caesar had vowed that very day that if Venus brought him
victory at Pharsalus he would build a great temple to her in Rome."

ref:
http://www.historynet.com/historical_conflicts/3030956.html

Best Wishes and Great Health,
Doug
PS from the pay Internet reference JSTOR, we have: "Pompeius Strabo met his
death by lightning"