[meteorite-list] EBAY not fixed. I just REALLY wanted it!!!

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 05:11:47 -0700 (PDT)

Greg

I buy, I don't sell. I'm so hopeless when it comes to
mailing stuff that I'd get murdered on the feedback
for taking weeks to get round to posting the stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to explain it simply as there may be
times when you fall victim to me by what you describe.

Normally, I wait until the auction is about to end and
then try to snipe it (outbid everyone else at the last
minute). This usually works for me because I'm usually
prepared to pay more for something I really want than
others. Sometimes it doesn't.

The reason it may not work is because someone
outsnipes me (not a real word but who cares).

Other times its because of what happened to you.

Living in the UK, I cannot often be up at 3am when the
auctions end so if I really REALLY want something,
I'll put in an outrageous bid which I'm pretty sure
nobody will outbid/snipe.

Fortunately, it doesn't declare this full amount as my
bid. It only places the amount to make me highest
bidder.

Whenever someone tries to outbid me, ebay will
increase my bid up to but not beyond the maxmimum I
was prepared to go.

Often, My max bid on something I "havetohave" may be
2-3times market value of the meteorite I want.
Nobody's going to bid this high and nobody's going to
snipe that high either. So I win.

Best of all, the following morning when I check
expecting to have delicate parts of my body removed by
my wife for spending so much, I find that the price I
have to pay is much lower than I was prepared to go.
I've taken a couple of real gems this way.
244mg of NWA3163 spring to mind as my favourite :)

I'm pretty sure Dave F was not trying to be rude. The
problem with written text is context is often hard to
determine unless you're Shakespeare, Hemmingway,
Tolstoy etc...

Good luck with the bidding in future.

Rob McC