[meteorite-list] New information from Nomenclature re:provisionalnames and

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:18:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Moni and List,

As I said before, you can talk to ten different BLM
offices and get ten different answers. The only
consistent thing I have heard is that 250 pounds a
year can be taken for non-commercial purposes (can't
be sold). In other words, they are incorporating
meteorites under general laws that apply to federal
land, things like minerals and petrified wood to name
a few.

The Smithsonian can't take away any meteorite that
weighs less than 250 pounds from what I was led to
believe unless it was found in an area deemed to be
off-limits to any kind of searching.

The only reason the Old Woman meteorite was taken was
because of it's weight from what I was told.

It is far better to search private property with
permission than to hassle with unclear laws that don't
specifically mention meteorites. Then, you are free
to do whatever you like with the meteorites.

Some areas in California require a use permit before
stepping foot in them and the restrictions are
different for every area so it is best to do your own
research before searching. The BLM is very helpful in
letting you know what areas can be searched so a call
ahead of time is recommended.

I am tired of this subject. It reminds me of all the
restrictions put on Treasure Hunters because of a few
bad apples who rocked the boat. I see meteorite
hunting going the same way. If everybody respected
everyone else's property, followed the laws and minded
their own business, there would be far fewer problems.
 If things continue the way they are now, there are no
guarantees that the next generation will be able to
search for anything. Picking up a piece of dog poop
could be off limits if somebody deemed it to be of
scientific value.

Wishing everybody the best,

Adam