[meteorite-list] New information from Nomenclature re: provisionalnames and

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:36:55 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List,

It kind of takes the fun out of it when somebody feels
the need to snitch on an out of state group to the
BLM. This only serves to weaken the hobby of hunting.

By the way, I was told that there was a BLM agent
hanging around the meteorite group this year in
Tucson. He was recognized in one of the images posted
to the List.

I got nothing but grief over the Randsburg iron even
though its provenance goes back three decades.
Questions about whether it was really a transplanted
Campo or Chuckwalla forced me to liquidate it for
free. I donated the entire mass to a church in North
Carolina because I was so disgusted with the politics
surrounding this California meteorite.

Luckily my pairing to the Old Woman was found on
private property or I am sure there would be some more
grief in regards to this shale ball.

The best advice for anybody searching California lake
beds is to check out the laws regarding them. It is
difficult to know if you are searching on private
property or not so it is best to question the locals.
Do not be afraid to bang on a few doors and ask
questions. I would rather search on private property
with a solid agreement than risk getting in trouble.
Besides, you can get an exclusive if you do your
research which accounts for 90% of any true treasure
hunting effort.

I plan a long term stay in the Mojave next fall with
all of the proper equipment and permissions so it
should be an enjoyable effort.

Best Regards,

Adam