[meteorite-list] Re Nevada picture of the day / April issue of Meteorite-Times

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:55:55 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to Sonny
for sharing on this List his opinion and
for presenting my side on this subject in my absense.
I couldn't have said it better, myself.
;-)
Bob V.

--- wahlperry at aol.com wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Good luck hunting.
>

> >Nevertheless these are all good questions.
> >But your scenarios are being taken to the extreme
>
> This is just the Nevada Meteorites, Art would kick
> me off the list if I posted all of the California
> meteorite finds! This list does show a lot
> of hard work. I don't think every fragment should
> get a number.
> Sonny

+++++++++++++++ deleted text ++++++++++++++++
UNCLASSIFIED FINDS
(WITHOUT NomCom "Provisional" names or numbers):

Meteorite finds (from North America) can now get
"Provisional" names or numbers assigned to them.
These are assigned by the Nomenclature Commmittee
(NomComm) of the Meteoritical Society.
In the past it wasn't always possible to get a
"provisional" name, so in the future this may be
subject to change.
But for now, given the glut of meteorite finds and the
long delay in getting classifications, it has been
recognized that it is better to provisionally record a
meteorite find (now) than it is to wait for ALL the
required information (years later). And as is the
current trend, given that there are so many more
important meteorites being found and needing to be
studied, it has been recognized that there are even
that many more Ordinary Chondrite finds being made,
but that they are going unrecorded, let alone
unstudied. So, in order to not lose this data, the
NomComm is accepting recovery information directly
from meteorite finders and issuing
"provisional" names/numbers.
Clearly this policy is borrowed from the NWA
provisional numbering process and is only intended to
be a stop-gap measure until the glut of Ordinary
Chondrite finds from North America subsides
(if ever).

So, if you have found a new Nevada meteorite and would
like to report it and get a "provisional" name, or
even easier, you have made a find from one of the
above localities and would like to have a number
issued, please contact the editor and member of the
Nomenclature Committee,
Harold Connolly
<meteorite at kbcc.cuny.edu>

=== message truncated ===