[meteorite-list] fall patterns

From: Pat Brown <radio_ranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:15:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Robin,

The heavier parts of a body after breakup will fly
further. The lighter parts will slow down faster and
not travel as fardown range. The reason for this is
that the smaller parts have more aerodynamic drag per
unit of mass and slow down quicker. The heaier parts
have less drag per unit mass and will not slow down as
quickly.

In a strewn field that is carefully mapped with the
location and mass of each fragment, it is east to see
which direction a meteoroid approached from. A line
drawn from the lightest fragment to the heaviest
fragmet will show the direction of travel. This is one
of the reasons that keeping good records is important.

Best Regards,
           Pat Brown