[meteorite-list] Mail List VS Online Forum?

From: David & Kitt Deyarmin <bobadebt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 20:22:47 -0500

I'm curious.

I'm a member of 2 meteorite related online forums that do OK

I was a member of 2 other online forums that have closed down due to lack of
participation.

I even created one but gave up on it when I found another that had decent
traffic.

So I have to ask why the internet standard for community based information
sharing is not very popular with the bulk of the people in THIS hobby?

EMail Lists are ok but they lack the many capabilities that even the most
simplistic online forums have.

Is it a lack of understanding of how they work?

Or the fact that you have to register to use it?

Or something else?