[meteorite-list] Get a grip....

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 15:44:54 -0500

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 21:30:22 +0200, you wrote:

>On normall forums, like this about computer hardware where Im registered You
>can be banned or warned for smaller sins than calling someone a Gay. Not
>"topic related" mails are immediatelly deleted by forum moderatos. But here
>is real bonanza. I can say and send everything I can and noone guarding
>quality of discussion on this mail-list. Thats why seweral valuable persons
>leaved this forum.

I'm subscribed to only 2 mailing lists-- this one and the paleolist. On this
list, people act like they know each other, care about each other's interests
and lives "off-list", often get "chatty" about topics that stray from strictly
meteorite-related and yes, often bicker with each other. On the paleolist, if
anyone says anything that strays off-topic, with even one reply, highly uptight
people bitch, threaten to quit the list, and sometimes do. The meteorite list
ends up with tens of messages a day. The paleolist goes days at a time without
a single post with only a few threads getting many responses at all. It is a
mostly dry, mostly empty environment. And the odd thing is, Geoff isn't more
heavy-handed in moderation than Art-- it is other list members who seem to have
an inflated ego ("I'm too important to waste my time reading these messages--
either they go, or I do").

Of the two lists and two posting/poster styles, I like the meteorite list the
best. It is a community, not a interactive search engine.