[meteorite-list] Fa and Fs values of LL meteorites

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 07:47:07 -0400

Hello List,

Have just purchased a nice slice of a low TKW LL3. NWA 2461.

The met bulliten lists Fayalite (mol%): 26.5?2.5
      Ferrosilite (mol%): 12.5?7

The Met Bulliten also gives an official classification of an LL3. The
encyclopedia of meteorites states that an LL3 should have a Fs value of
32-40 so how can this be grouped as an LL3? The Fa value fits.

Looking at many other LL meteorites from the Met Base I see that the
majority have Fs values well belwo the 32-40 level. I wonder if I am
interpreting these incorreectly?

Any help would be gratly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike Tettenborn