[meteorite-list] Marcin's (a)chondrite

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 06 Apr 2007 16:02:41 UT

Marcin wrote:

- I received from Morocco small eucrite.
- dont really look like "normal" eucrite or amphoterite.
- eucrite/howardite?
- I not see any chondrules
- even for LL chondrite this one have very little amount of iron
- I cant see any troilite
- strong feeling that this is not eucrite.

http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/MC032a.jpg
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/MC032b.jpg
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/MC032c.jpg
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/MC032d.jpg
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/MC032e.jpg

Mike responded:

- a very highly shocked LL6
- could also be a shocked Diogenite.
- the veins similar to what I have seen in Diogenites
- it looks to have a little more metal than I would expect.

Hello Marcin, Mike, and List,

No need to feel ashamed. There are several such unclassified specimens in my
collection that have hitherto defied classification. One such stone (it also has these
angular clasts that may be orthopyroxenes and it also has this bluish-gray texture)
comes from the Hup?s. It is cut in two halves, was part of the "cherry-picked" series
and was sold as "a possible achondrite". It too has a little more metal than one would
expect in a eucrite or a howardite. I also purchased similar-looking stones from Dean
and, again, I am still not quite sure if I am looking at LL6 or something achondritic
(eucrite or howardite).

First off your meteorite looks similar to Saint-S?verin and Ensisheim, which would
make it an LL6 as Mike already stated but those angular clasts - if they are really
orthopyroxenes - could also shuffle your stone into the howardite or diogenite group,
both of which contain orthopyroxenes.

I can't detect any plagioclase needles as would be the case for a typical eucrite but
that may be a consequence of severe shock melting - again a detail Mike already
mentioned.

Best wishes,

Bernd