[meteorite-list] Metal Fragment That Hit Illinois Home Not A Meteorite

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 21:12:33 -0600

Matteo, Ron and List
Thanks for sharing the article Ron.
Good call Matteo on this.
I was off a bit on it. I said that I thought it might have been an
ejected part of the chipper, possibly a piece of the hub that the
blades are fastened into. Nothing in the articles indicate it was
such. One thing fairly certain is that if that piece of iron went
through a wood chipper operating at full speed, that chipper should
have sustained a fair amount of damage. Unless the gap was set a two
inches plus ;-) , It shouldn't have been too hard for the operator to
notice something went through that shouldn't have. You could have
sent one of my little micros through there though and launched it for
at least 75 feet without causing any problems at all. The micros are
little but mighty!

Michael Murray