[meteorite-list] Commercialization, & a good idea ...

From: Fredmeteorhall at aol.com <Fredmeteorhall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 23:49:03 EDT

Barb Baker (50 miles from Holbrook). I loved your sentence "Leave the
fertilizer in the garden." as THAT is just what I do, and I'd like many other
meteorite collectors to do the same.
    Try this for a wonderful hobby addition to meteorite collecting: Take
your love, your spouse, dog or grandmother for a walk to the nearest elementary
school. While there are no children around, set out some polished rocks,
mineral specimens (the SAFE minerals) fossils or meteorite specimens (sliced or
whole, the little critters, so it doesn't break the bank) around the playground,
hide some in hard to find spots, the kids will then have an Easter egg type
hunt combined with Christmas, all year long. Put the nicest specimens in small
plastic bags and label them. Then keep your identity a secret for over a decade,
it will drive the teachers crazy!
    Just think of all the geologists, mineralogists, and meteorite collectors
that you will have a small hand in getting started in a wonderful hobby, or a
life time dedication or profession.
    I confess, this is perhaps one of the most enjoyable things that I have
done with my life. Try it, you will dig it.
 Fred Hall

 See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.