[meteorite-list] Meteorite-wrong pics

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 27 15:21:45 2006

Hi, Dave, List,

    I'm fairly sure what you have there is a MILL BALL.
Mill Balls are the grinding media used in Ball Mills (well,
that's logical). A Ball Mill is a large, tilted, slightly tapered
cyclinder rotated with a load of mill balls and a continuous
imput of rock ore to be crushed, often sluiced with water
to remove the fine particles or grains from the crushing.
    In other words, it's humping big rock tumbler. Modern
mill balls are ceramic, antinomy alloy, or stainless steel
spheres; you can buy the stainless steel ones up to 6"
in diameter. Very pretty.
    In the XIXth century, larger cast iron balls were used,
less corrosion-resistant than stainless steel. The "pocks"
on your mill ball are crush spalls, which is why this mill ball
was discarded -- an "unround" mill ball degrades the
performance of the mill.
    As to its where- and why-fore, I suggest the lead mines
of NW Illinois ("Galena") as a possibly likely source, and
steel mill balls are still used in this way for leading mining.
But, ball mills are also used in other types of mining.

    Before I could send this, Dave Freeman pegged it as a
mill ball and Mexico Doug as waste from the Joliet Army
Ammunition Plant. You gotta be quick on this List!

    It could be older than the Joliet Plant. Wars always
seem to increase the demand for lead...

Sterling K. Webb