[meteorite-list] COMETS AND CARBONACEOUS CHONDRITES

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 22 08:20:18 2006

Hi Doug:

Tell this to the astronauts in their space suits.

I wish I still had access to my old thermal model programs so that I could
give you real answers, but I will do my best.

If you look up the surface temperture of the day side of the Moon, you get 107
degrees C. However, the "noon" temperture is well above 120 C (130 C ?).

The mean and high temperture of an object is dependent on:

Distance from the Sun

Its reflectance (how much sunlight it absorbs)

How fast it is rotating

The size of the particles that make up the material (sand vs. rock)

The lower the albdeo, the more sunlight you absorb, the hotter you get.
The faster you rotate and the rockier your surface, the more heat you dump out
the night side, so the lower your highest temperture.

The Moon's day/night cycle is 29 days (slow) and its reflectance is 12%, so it
gets fairly hot at noon.

A typical NEO will rotate much faster, but if a C asteroid, it will have a
much lower albedo (maybe 5% or 6%, but that really is not that much more
energy since the absorbed energy is 88% vs 95%). Still, the asteroid will
reach average "daytime" tempertures very close to 100 degrees C. The interior
will be cooler (insulated), but will still be warm depending on the object's
mean distance from the Sun.

If anything is hard pressed to get above freesing at the Earth's distance, why
does it get so hot on the surface of the Earth in the summer even though the
Earth reflects 30% of the light that hits it? Go stand outside in July and
tell me you are cold!

Remember that the volatiles (water) are lcked in the minerals themselves
(clays) and can withstand vacuum and moderate heating with being lost to space.

Larry