AW: Re: [meteorite-list] Unbelievably late package - my story

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Sep 19 05:36:01 2006

Hi Walter, and Martin,

not was it me.
It happened to Bernhard Rems from Austria. Well meanwhile he seems to have
been stolen in person too, as I wait since one and a half year for a payment
from him for a meteorite, sigh.

Well, perhaps I have also to explain, what usually happens with German
customs, for the dealers and collectors not being afraid to send meteorites
here.
In general there is no problem to receive meteorites here and the German
customs has no special interest in meteorite at all, nor do they estimate
them to have a special value.
Like in all others countries too, one has to pay custom taxes (and VAT, if
the goods are not exempted from that tax) for all imported goods.
For them a meteorite is a good. Normally they judge the stones, because they
are looking so unimpressive of being of minor value below the duty &
tax-free allowance (which is here around 40$) and they forward it without
any problem.
But if you have bad luck, they suspect the stone to be perhaps of value.
And here the only interesting parameter for defining the value for them is
simply that, what you paid for. If no receipt comes with the meteorite, you
can show them a printout of the ebay-auction, the paypal-receipt or simply
the e-mail, where your counterpart asked his price.
Theoretical debates, whether a meteorite has no trade value and no value
inherent other then a collector's value, doesn't help.
If one is not willing to pay the taxes, it can happen, that they assume,
that you refuse to accept the parcel and it will be sent back to the sender.
Therefore here in Germany it's not different from most other countries.

The rates of the import tax, depends on the good, so I can't give exact
values (German tax system is placed in a ranking of 104 countries on rank
104, as it's the most complicated on Earth. 220 main tax laws, seventy
thousand subsequent regulations), but it's somewhere between 0 to 17%.
(Here there is room for haggling)
Additional VAT is 7% or 16%.

Cheers!
Martin A.