[meteorite-list] Unbelievably late package

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 18 21:13:36 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <Impactika_at_aol.com>
To: <brandes_at_gmx.at>; <Meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Unbelievably late package

> Another one sent to Texas came back with the notice "Customs Declaration
> is
> missing". We have always known that Texas is different but when did it
> become
> independent? ;-)
> Anne M. Black
Hi, Anne, List

    As any Texan would be happy to tell you,
March 2, 1836!
    "The Texas Declaration of Independence was
produced, literally, overnight. Its urgency was
paramount, because while it was being prepared,
the Alamo in San Antonio was under seige by
Santa Anna's Army of Mexico.
    Immediately upon the assemblage of the Convention
of 1836 on March 1, a committee of five of its delegates
were appointed to draft the document. The committee,
consisting of George C. Childress, Edward Conrad,
James Gaines, Bailey Hardeman, and Collin McKinney,
prepared the declaration in record time. It was briefly
reviewed, then adopted by the delegates of the convention
the following day.
    The document parallels somewhat that of the United States,
signed almost sixty years earlier. It contains statements on
the function and responsibility of government, followed by
a list of grievances. Finally, it concludes by declaring Texas
a free and independent republic."
    Full text at: http://www.lsjunction.com/docs/tdoi.htm

Sterling K. Webb