[meteorite-list] Unbelievably late package - my story

From: Deborah Martin <dak_mar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 18 15:26:23 2006

At 01:57 PM 18/09/2006, Bernd wrote:

>The customs people were not the culprits this time. That honor goes
>to the German mail
>company. There must have been a potential thief who opened Christmas
>mail that looked
>promising (precious metals, jewelry, money, etc.). Meteorites were
>just worthless and
>meaningless stuff so he chucked them back into the torn package
>(sometimes it is good
>people do not know much about meteorites :-)

My favourite story about Canada Post: around Christmas 1990, someone
sent their family member in Vancouver a 35mm camera with a roll of
film. Both were in a box, wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper and
the gift was put in a second box. The family member did receive the
camera on time for Christmas and began taking pictures for the Holidays.

When the film was developped, there were several photos of people the
family member did not know, had never met and certainly never
photographed. Further, these photos were taken in a building into
which he had never been.

Then the mystery was solved: Canada Post employees opened the box,
saw the gift and carefully opened it, took the camera, loaded the
film and took pictures of themselves at work, rewrapped the gift,
repackaged it and delivered it. When this was published in the
Montreal Gazette, the article also mentioned a complaint a possibly a
lawsuit would be filed. I never heard any follow-up to that story.

I suspect this one will be hard to beat !

Andre Bordeleau