[meteorite-list] Smoke Trail

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 13 23:43:06 2006

It was Darwin harbor. http://www.cloudbait.com/science/darwin.html

Contrail shadows occasionally are projected onto underlying clouds, but
most often occur when the contrail, sun, and viewer are nearly in line.
In that configuration, the viewer is actually seeing a plane of darkened
air, viewed edge on. It is seen in contrast to the forward scatter from
the surrounding unshadowed air. A striking example is seen here:
http://www.cloudbait.com/gallery/gallery_sky.html .

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory