[meteorite-list] Smoke Trail

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 13 21:07:49 2006

Hi,

    Although I can't pinpoint the date, there was
a set of photos (interval-timed) from Australia
of Sydney (?) harbor. One frame showed what
appeared to be a streak from the sky striking a
lamp post on a pier. Was it a meteorite? (The
lamp was blown up.)
    One of the astronomical forums hosted a huge
discussion of the photo, analysis, frame differences,
blah, blah. Some thought it was a photo of a bug
close to the camera, some thought ball lightening,
some thought the "trail" was the shadow of a
contrail (the photo was taken at twilight sunset),
and the guy that suggested this posted a number
of photos of the shadows of contrails. I didn't
think this photo in question was explained as a
contrail shadow (calculated the sun angle and the
"shadow" angle was different).
    But there is no doubt that there IS such a thing
as a shadow from a contrail. When I Google
"contrail shadow" I get lots and lots of stuff:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=contrail+shadow
    Even better, Google Images for "contrail shadow":
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=contrail%20shadow&sa=N&tab=wi
    Are any of these resemble what you saw, George?
    And, yes, a fireball trail could produce a
"fireball shadow," I suppose. It's just that fireballs
are a lot rarer than jets! Even a 737 or 747 is hardly
visible as an object at eight miles high (12 miles
away at an angle); military jets are even smaller
(and higher and faster).

Sterling K. Webb